Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health

My small group leader urged us to read the Bible every day because it will completely change us.  I've been reading the Bible every day for many years, but am I changed?  I've been contemplating this question all week, from whether I am really changed to how I could be reading my Bible better.  I stumbled across a book in my public library by Donald Whitney called Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Heath, and discovered that over the years, God truly has been changing me and still has a lot more transformation to accomplish.  The transformation has been gradual, but occurring, nonetheless.

Donald Whitney, associate professor of spiritual formation, asks the following questions in assessing spiritual growth:
1.  Do you thirst for God?
2.  Are you governed increasingly by God's Word?
3.  Are you more loving?
4.  Are you more sensitive to God's presence?
5.  Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others?
6.  Do you delight in the bride of Christ?
7.  Are the spiritual disciplines increasingly important to you?
8.  Do you still grieve over sin?
9.  Are you a quick forgiver?
10.  Do you yearn for heaven and to be with Jesus?

Some of these I could not say yes to five years ago, and I am encouraged to be able to see that indeed, God IS changing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment