Praying Peace into Chaos at Work

Back-stabbing, one-upping, self-promotion, gossip, maliciousness – I used to work in a chaotic office environment filled with these things.  Since I was the first one in the quiet office early every morning, sometimes I would kneel in the middle of the hall while it was still dark and pray God’s peace into the place. Then I would place my hands on the doorframes of my co-workers’ offices and pray for them on my way to the coffee pot.

After three years, God removed me from that crazy place during its biggest chaotic upheaval and planted me in a new place, in a new state.  My current office is at the opposite end of the spectrum – much more serene, much less office politics.  Sometimes it’s downright boring. My biggest concerns are different – the fear of technical inadequacy and that people will find out I’m not as smart as they think!

No matter where I am, I need Him. Here are two prayers that I keep tucked beneath my organizer on my desk at work to keep my focus on Him and pray peace into my work environment:

23rd Psalm for the Workplace

The Lord is my boss, and I shall not want.  He gives me peace, when chaos is all around me.  He gently reminds me to pray and do all things without murmuring and complaining.

He reminds me that He is my source and not my job.  He restores my sanity every day and guides my decisions, that I might honor Him in all that I do.

Even though I face absurd amounts of emails, system crashes, unrealistic deadlines, budget cutbacks, gossiping coworkers, discriminating supervisors, and an aging body that doesn’t cooperate every morning, I still will not stop, for He is with me!

His presence, His peace, and His power will see me through.  He raises me up, even when they fail to promote me.  He claims me as His own, even when the company threatens to let me go.

His faithfulness and love are better than any bonus check.  His retirement plan beats every 401K there is! And, when it is all said and done, I’ll be working for Him a whole lot longer - and for that, I BLESS HIS NAME!!!
Amen.

My Worklife Prayer

Lord Jesus, as I enter this workplace,
I bring your presence with me.

I speak your peace, your grace, and your perfect order into the atmosphere of this office.

I acknowledge your lordship over all that will be spoken, thought, decided, and accomplished within these walls.

Lord Jesus, I thank you for the gifts you have deposited in me. I do not take them lightly, but commit to using them responsibly and well.

Give me a fresh supply of truth and beauty on which to draw as I do my job. Anoint my creativity, my ideas, my energy, so that even my smallest task may bring you honor.

Lord, when I am confused, guide me.  When I am weary, energize me.

Lord, when I am burned out, infuse me with the light of your Holy Spirit.

May the work that I do and the way I do it bring hope, life, and courage to all that I come in contact with today.

And, Oh Lord, even in this day’s most stressful moment, may I rest in you.

In the mighty name that is above all names, in the Matchless Name of my Lord and Savior Jesus I pray. Amen.

37 comments:

  1. I think these are awesome prayers! I also think it is amazing how you prayed for people in your office. What a mighty warrior God has made you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I really could do a whole lot better at praying consistently in my life. :)

      Delete
    2. You are one of God watch Men that sits high on the Tower and You will not come down until Your assignment has been completed My He continue to Bless You as You Bless other with Your Praying Spirit

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing these prayers. They have brought peace as well as rest in the Lord. I am going through a difficult time and had been growing weary. These prayers have rejuvenated me as well as redirected my focus to the Lord. Thank you for sharing them both.

      Delete
    4. I pray for peace at your work. Pray for peace at my work and protection

      Delete
  2. I love love love the Psalm 23 for the Workplace! :) I find praying about my day at work to be very important and I can feel a difference. Thank you for your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow paula thank you so much for this link post friend... i just needed this..i guess you read..my blog...God bless you friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID read your blog and I LOVED how you had conversation with God throughout your work day and how you knew He was with you!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. For years I worked in an office much like the one you mentioned myself and it affected me deeply in a very negative way and I still almost shudder while thinking about it. I'm fortunate that I now work in an environment where we keep so busy there is little time for drama. The prayers you shared here made me smile, I definitely could have used a similar version of them myself. Also I like the idea of placing your hands at a certain area while praying.

      Delete
  5. This is so helpful to everyone. I was going to say to everyone who works outside of the home, but I can see how these prayers would be good for those of us stay at home moms as well. There are days that are chaotic, and that I would do well to pray over the doors of the children's room (and maybe mine as well).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Paula. These are wonderful prayers. Both of them. I want to send these to a friend who has a REALLY difficult work environment. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. So impressed that you got down on your knees and prayed in you work place...something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a good prayer for the workplace..
    peace is such a rare commodity.... ..
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lord give me patience, energy, tolerance with coworkers. Some of them are not cooperating with me since

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!!!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Paula I really truly needed this

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Paula. This gives so much encouragement to get through our daily work lives. Unfortunately there are people out there like my boss who bullies and dictates, but I pray for her the she will one day find peace within herself, as I know the Lord is my true boss. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful prayers to pray for the work place. They are a blessing to have in your possession. Thank you for sharing them, and God bless you for your gifts of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful prayers to pray for the work place. They are a blessing to have in your possession. Thank you for sharing them, and God bless you for your gifts of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awsone prayer warrior, thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awsone prayer warrior, thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awsone prayer warrior, thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awsone prayer warrior, thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some days literally drain me physically with every word of gossip and even the unspoken feelings coming from inhabitants of the offices around me as well as all the negative words and vibes i feel many times. I pray as i get to my desk but I like the idea and will do the same of praying in the offices, touching the doors etc... and these two prayers are an inspiration to me and i will use them and share them with my co-workers. Thank you and God Bless you for sharing your strength and light. Darkness watch out! I'm going to pray it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am physically and mentally drained from mean and destructive people at work and now I have no self confidence. May I pray and find strength. Thank you for your prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have had peaceful work environments in the beginning of my career. Lately peace has become so hard to comeby. It has been so draining for me and tgose 2 prayers will now going forward be my ammunition goimg forward. Every single day. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so powerful and exactly what I need. My job is filled with chaos and I'm praying for peace. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exactly what I'm going through sometime. Much needed prayers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. God sure wanted me to find this article
    Thank you! I am feeling down and needed the presence of God more today than ever. I gave my boss a week notice that I was leaving and she has been so shallow, pretty much she is just validating that I have made the right decision that God opened the door to a new opportunity that I can use my knowledge and skills. I am scared of the unknown but I walk with Great Faith and with God by my side ����

    ReplyDelete
  25. BEAUTIFUL PRAYER FOR THE WORKPLACE...ESPECIALLY IN THESE CHAOTIC TIMES AND UNPEOPLE ON THIS EARTH,

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing! Thank you for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I needed this right now, at this moment so much as I have been dreading, almost in tears, going into my job today. This has become a daily occurrence. Thank you and praise be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for these illuminating prayers which seems so fitting for my current situation, I have been praying for not just myself but for those who seems so bent in having my work-life miserable, may the your words continue to comfort others as it has for me. God bless you, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for these prayers. I have been and continue to be surrounded by very dark, negative co-workers on my team and in the whole office from all of the other employees. It has and continues to greatly affect me in every sphere of my Human Being Life and my Spiritual Being Life. I have prayed so many prayers but nothing seems to stop this negativity, this darkness, this evil that is in this office. I will pray for everyone here and myself to break this cycle and for them to stop making everyone miserable or to be banished from this office.

    Your words are very poignant and bring me great comfort that I am not alone in this type of situation. Thank you for all you do. May God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete