My Reading List for 2014


When people see my personal library, the first question they ask is if I have read all the books.  I wish!  I never intended my personal library to be like a seashell collection, but each book represents something I wish I had read or knew about. 

I usually read about 80 books a year but I'm hoping to slow down and read more carefully and thoughtfully this year.  I combed my library and picked 20 books that I would like to read in 2014 (in addition to book reviews for publishers):

Classics:
·        Imitation of Christ, by Thomas a Kempis
·        Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther, by Roland H. Bainton
·        The Christian’s Secret of a Happy Life, by Hannah Whitall Smith
·        The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence
·        The Story of a Soul, by St. Therese of Lisieux
·        Let God: The Transforming Wisdom of Fancois Fenelon, by Winn Collier
·        Abandonment to Divine Providence, by Jean-Pierre De Caussade

About the Bible:
·        Between Two Worlds, by John Stott
·        Hard Sayings of Jesus, by F.F. Bruce
·        Reading the Bible Again for the First Time, by Marcus J. Borg
·        The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance, by Randy Alcorn

Simplicity and Spiritual Renewal:
·        Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life, by Thomas Moore
·        The Dangerous Duty of Delight, by John Piper
·        The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian, by Brian D. McLaren
·        The Way of the Heart: Connecting with God through Prayer, Wisdom, and Silence, by Henri J.M. Nouwen
·        Choosing Simplicity: Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World: Linda Breen Pierce
·        God & Your Stuff: The Vital Link Between Your Possessions and Your Soul, by Wesley K. Willmer

Becoming More Like Jesus:
·        A Heart Like Jesus, by Max Lucado
·        Speaking the Truth in Love, by Ruth N. Koch & Kenneth C. Haugk
·        Forgotten Among the Lilies: Learning to Love Beyond Our Fears, by Ronald Rolheiser
·        I Told the Mountain to Move: A Determined Struggle to Learn How to Pray; A Triumphant Lesson in Learning to Love, by Patricia Raybon


Have you read any of these? Are there any that I should cross off my list as a waste of time, or any I should make a top priority?

No comments:

Post a Comment