Empty Promises - Book Review

Most of us are wired to want to make a difference, to count for something great, and to feel valued.  Our culture tells us we can fulfill these desires through external things such as attractiveness, achievement, approval, power, wealth, etc.  If you are like me and quick to say, “oh no, that’s not me, my identity is in Christ and those things don’t define me,” Pete Wilson will challenge you to realize the large capacity we have for self-deception and help unpeel those layers of hidden idolatry in his book Empty Promises.

“Gathering your self-worth externally is like trying to fill up a lake with a Dixie cup. It’s just never enough. That’s why it’s so addictive.”  It is SO easy for us to fall into the trap that what we do determines who we are, but Pete Wilson shows how we can exchange achievement addiction/success-based identity for a position-based identity.  He shows how power at its worst is the sin of comparison and why wielding it somehow makes us think we matter more. 

In a nutshell, when we try to fill a God-given appetite with something that isn’t God, it’s idolatry.  Pete Wilson will walk you through the traps and list out questions that will help you identify which idols or empty promises you have fallen for and not even realized it.  Then he offers up biblical answers on how to transition out of those traps by not just showing how to turn away from them but what to replace them with.  I highly recommend this practical book to any believer who wants to chase hard after the only promise that will satisfy – Jesus Christ.

Disclaimer:  BookSneeze® provided me a complimentary copy of this book.  I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment