Alone

This morning I was reflecting on the times when I feel that I most hear God's voice and direction speaking into my life.  Is it while I am going about my daily business? Is it when I am worshiping alongside others? Is it during a sermon? Is it when I am serving others? Is it when I am reading the Bible? Is it when I am praying? 

He has spoken into my life in all the above, but hands down, it is while I am praying that He speaks the most.  It is when I am praying and listening that the burning-bush moments happen.

I was just reminded of the priceless treasure of getting alone with God in the devotional book Streams of Living Water by L.B. Cowman. She reminded me of all the miraculous acts of God showing Himself and working His power when individuals were alone with Him: Jacob (the wrestling event), Moses (burning bush), Gideon (the fleece), Mary and Cornelius (messages from angels), John the Beloved (island of Patmos) – just to name a few.

Jesus spent a lot of time with his disciples, with crowds of people, and with the Pharisees in the synagogue. But I think even more notable is that He spent much time alone with His Master, and through His time alone with the Father, He was given everything He needed to speak into the lives of the people and minister to them.

Earnestly desire to get alone with God. If we neglect to so so, we not only rob ourselves of a blessing but rob others as well, since we will have no blessing to pass on to them. It may mean that we do less outward, visible work, but the work we do will have more depth and power. (page 92) 
I want to hear His voice, for His Word to speak into my life. I don’t want to sleepwalk through my daily quiet time, but instead for Him to work His power into my life and change me, even if it is baby steps at a time.  When I remind myself that those burning bush moments come when I am alone with Him in conversation, I want to search for Him not just first thing in the morning but in those alone moments throughout the day. I want His work in me to have depth and power.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment