Put Your Dream to the Test - Book Review

At midlife, I find myself settled into busy daily routines, but after reading John Maxwell's Put Your Dream to the Test, I discovered not only do I still have dreams, but they are still achievable.  I just need to dust them off, define them, put them to the test, and get into action.  I felt realistically inspired with each page I turned.

This book is not one of those blooks that claim if you can dream it, then you can achieve it. The author guides you through ten practical questions to assist you in recalling and reformulating your dream, defining it with clarity, measuring it against your strengths and passion, developing a strategy, networking with people whose strengths are your weaknesses, counting the cost while keeping priorities straight, having tenacity, and evaluating the satisfaction and significance.
A couple of my favorite parts included the importance of having a ‘dream team’, realizing we can’t accomplish the dream all on our own but instead we should draw on skills of those that complement ours – their strengths complementing my weaknesses.  The author also provides a strategy to help with the planning process in reaching our dreams using the acronym SECURE.  Tenacity is essential to realizing our dreams, and he provides seven tips to developing greater tenacity.  At the back of the book, the Dream Test serves as a map so you can determine where you are at and where you are headed.  It includes checklists, evaluation, and how to plot the course for each of the ten questions that are designed to help you “see it and seize it."

This book is inspiring, practical, and easy to read, as well as potentially life-changing.  For me, I find myself stretching my imagination beyond the expected norm to match my abilities and strengths in ways that may be new or different in my culture.  It helped me to appreciate how God made me and encouraged me to resurrect the dream that died somewhere along the way through life.
To comply with regulations by the Federal Trade Commission 16 CFR Part 255, I am disclosing that BookSneeze® provided me a complimentary copy of this book.  I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

1 comment: